Below are links to the resources discussed in Let’s Talk Business – Exporting for Small Business
U.S. Small Business Resources for Exporters
- Exporting Overview (Link)
- SBA Export Overview (Word Doc)
- Explore Exporting (Link)
- Know Before You Go: Dispelling 7 Exporting Myths (Link)
- Take Your Business Global – An Introduction to Exporting (Video)
- Export Loans (Link)
- Export Tools (Word Doc)
- SBA Export Planner (PDF)
EXIM Bank Digital Content Resources (eBooks and Videos:
- EXIM Bank Overview:
- “Export Expertise: 10 Finance Tools to Grow Your Export Business” (EXIM eBook) which provides an overview of all of EXIM Bank products support
- Export Credit Insurance:
- Export Working Capital:
- “How it Works: Ex-Im Bank Working Capital Loan Guarantee” (EXIM Video) which explains this EXIM Bank product in one minute and six seconds
- “An Exporters Guide to Working Capital Loan Guarantees” (EXIM eBook) which provides an overview of this EXIM Bank product
Here are some great eBooks and Videos developed by the U.S. Commercial Service / U.S. Department of Commerce / International Trade Administration which help to explain international payment methods, export finance and risk mitigation techniques:
- U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration, Trade Finance Guide: A Quick Reference for U.S. Exporters (2012) which provides a great overview on international payment methods, export finance products, and risk mitigation techniques:
- Chapters 1 – 5 cover International Payment Methods. Chapter 7 & 8 is on Export Working Capital. Chapter 9 is on Export Credit Insurance. Chapter 12 is on Foreign Buyer Financing. This guide speaks about the various export finance products where each product is written into a two page chapters in plain English.
- U.S. Department of Commerce / United States Commercial Service – How to Export Video Series – “Get Paid and Finance Your Export Transactions” Video Set:
- U.S. Department of Commerce / United States Commercial Service – A Basic Guide to Exporting (2012) which breaks down the steps to Exporting (process) into readable chapters
- These chapters speak about the process an Exporter must go through to sell their products into Foreign Markets. Chapter 13 is on Pricing, Quotations, and Terms. Chapter 14 is on Methods of Payment. Chapter 15 is on Financing Export Transactions.
EXIM Bank Resources for small businesses to utilize to perform Financial Due Diligence on their Foreign Buyers / Agents / Representatives / Distributors who request to purchase on Open Account – Extended Payment Terms:
- Country Limitation Schedule (CLS): which indicates whether EXIM Bank is open for business with Public Sector or Private Sector Foreign Buyers and if we are open for Short Term (Up to 1 year), and/or Medium Term (From 2 to 7 Years) , and/or Long-Term (Over 7 Years).
- Trade Reference Form: where you can ask your Foreign Buyers / Agents / Distributors to provide you with names of other U.S. Suppliers they have previously bought from. You can contact the U.S. Suppliers directly to inquire about their payment history.
- Sources of Credit Information Fact Sheet: of what information that EXIM Bank requires in a Credit Report as well as resources to obtain Credit Reports on your Foreign Buyers / Agents / Distributors.
- Short-Term Credit Standards: used to qualify U.S. Exporters and Foreign Buyers / Agents / Distributors under EXIM Bank Export Credit Insurance Policies
Lee Gibbs, Regional Export Finance Manager – Washington, Alaska, North Idaho
US Small Business Administration-Office of International Trade
US Export Assistance Center, 2001 6th Avenue, Suite 2610, Seattle, WA 98121
firstname.lastname@example.org | Office: 206-553-0051 ext 228 | Mobile: 206-470-9243
John Brislin, Director – Seattle Regional Office
Export-Import Bank of the United States
2001 6th Avenue, Suite 2600
Westin Building Exchange, 26th Floor | Seattle, WA 98121
John.Brislin@exim.gov | Office: 206-728-2264 | Mobile: 206-307-5289 |